The Academic Integrity Office (AIO) at SU
Supporting Faculty, Students and Staff
The AIO works with faculty, instructors, students, & staff to promote understanding of SU’s academic integrity policy and coordinate its administration. The office also maintains records of all academic integrity cases.
- Why and when was the AIO created? SU adopted a university-wide academic integrity policy in 2006.¹ The policy (revised in 2008, 2011 and 2017) established the AIO to implement and support the university’s academic integrity policies and procedures.
- How does the AIO make students aware of SU’s Academic Integrity (AI) policy? Incoming 1st-year and transfer students must complete an online unit describing SU’s AI expectations before registering for their 2nd semester. Returning undergraduate and graduate students must open a summary of SU’s AI expectations in MySlice twice a year and provide their electronic signature agreeing to uphold the AI policy.
- How does the AIO inform students, faculty and staff about new initiatives and ongoing programs? Resources for teaching and understanding AI expectations and for reporting and responding to AI charges are posted under the Academic Integrity tab on the top, or on the left sidebar of this page.
- How does the AIO support faculty in promoting academic integrity on campus? AIO staff create online resources for classroom use, join faculty in making AI presentations in schools and colleges, and are available for consultation about AI cases and questions.
- What role does the AIO play in AI cases? Most cases are reported by faculty and instructors via an online reporting system the AIO maintains in MySlice. Students and other SU community members are encouraged to report possible violations by calling or emailing the AIO. AIO staff work with the Academic Integrity Coordinator of each school or college to assemble case material and notify students of AI charges.
- How does the AIO support students charged with AI violations? The AIO notifies students of resources and advising available to them and informs them of their appeal rights. Students may also consult with AIO staff on an individual basis.
- How many cases does the AIO receive? In 2016-17, the AIO received 197 new cases. Of these, 196 were resolved that year (185 upheld, 11 overturned), with one case occurring late in the year pending resolution.