The Center for Learning and Student Success (CLASS) at SU
Supporting Faculty, Students, and Staff
The Center for Learning and Student Success (CLASS) works with faculty, instructors, students, and staff to promote understanding of SU’s academic integrity policy and coordinate its administration. The office also maintains records of all academic integrity cases.
- Why and when was the Academic Integrity Policy created? SU adopted a university-wide academic integrity policy in 2006. The original policy (revised in 2008, 2011 and 2017) established the Academic Integrity Office (AIO) to implement and support the University’s academic integrity policies and procedures. The AIO became part of CLASS when the Center opened in January 2017.
- How does CLASS make students aware of SU’s Academic Integrity (AI) policy? Incoming 1st-year and transfer students must complete online modules found on their Mandatory Tasks page that describe SU’s Academic Integrity expectations before they can register for their 2nd semester. Returning undergraduate and graduate students must open a summary of SU’s Academic Integrity expectations in MySlice twice a year and provide their electronic signature agreeing to uphold the AI policy.
- How does CLASS inform students, faculty, and staff about new initiatives and ongoing programs? Resources for teaching and understanding AI expectations and for reporting and responding to Academic Integrity charges are posted under the Academic Integrity tab on the top, or on the left sidebar, of this page.
- How does CLASS support faculty in promoting academic integrity on campus? CLASS staff create online resources for classroom use, join faculty in making Academic Integrity presentations in schools and colleges, and are available for consultation about AI cases and questions.
- What role does CLASS play in Academic Integrity cases? Most cases are reported by faculty and instructors via an online reporting system that CLASS maintains in MySlice. Students and other SU community members are encouraged to report possible violations by calling the CLASS Academic Integrity line at 315-443-5412 or emailing CLASS at AIO@syr.edu. CLASS staff work with the Academic Integrity Coordinator of each school or college to assemble case material and notify students of Academic Integrity charges.
- How does CLASS support students charged with Academic Integrity violations? CLASS notifies students of resources and advising available to them and informs them of their appeal rights. Students may also consult with CLASS staff on an individual basis.
- How many cases does CLASS receive? In 2018-19, CLASS received 242 new cases. Of these, 240 were resolved that year (220 upheld, 20 overturned), with two cases unresolved due to a leave of absence.